Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009




The Dump Chronicles Day Six



When he awoke, the creature was alone, his head hurt and he was weary. “I feel like I’ve been asleep for a long while”, he said out loud. By now, Gramma Brown would be wondering where he was. She would be unhappy that he missed his lessons and his chores. Who would be there to help his Gramma gather food? He knew he had to find his way home soon. Slowly he stood up on his hind legs and moved along the shaft until he came to a cavern where a brilliant light from above bounced off the walls, almost blinding him. He looked straight up at the light.

“If I climb up, maybe I’ll reach the hole where I fell in and I can find my way back to Glory” he muttered aloud. The creature started to climb. The walls of the cavern were crumbly in spots so he had to move slowly. It seemed like he had climbed for a long time. He started to worry that he would not reach the hat. But just when he thought he could go no further, he reached the top and pushed his head up, hitting the light above him. Nothing happened. Holding on to the cavern walls, he pushed his head once more, only this time tasting dirt as he thrust his head through the light.

Squinting, he looked up and could see that what he thought was a light, had been a large, shiny, wrinkled hat now stuck to his head. He touched the hat, his eyes widening as his collar changed from black to white. “Grampa”, he called out, “What’s happening? Where am I?” he asked aloud as he looked around, pulling the rest of his body out of the hole. But there was no answer.

No comments: